Monday, June 14, 2010

Clause of concession

Alright. So after watching these two films:


My verdict is that not all anime sucks.

Only last week I'd have been shocked to hear myself say so, but there it is. Funny how that works. 'Spirited Away' won an academy award and is listed along with 'Princess Mononoke' as being among the best animated films ever. Critical reception notwithstanding, my personal opinion is that I'd place these two right up there with the Disney classics like 'The Lion King', 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame', etc...I found the music to be very moving, something which rarely happens in the kind of animated films we get these days, 'How to Train Your Dragon' being a notable exception. The protagonists are, in my opinion, every bit as charming with 'full as much heart' as their english counterparts, as I'm sure most people would see if but they could get over their bias against anything other than what they are normally accustomed to. To be sure, it is rather different in style as well as language, but that shouldn't blind one to the merits of any film, as I've come to realize. You roll your eyes, and maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but it's one thing to vaguely comprehend the concept of impartiality and another to come to your own understanding of it, or 'too see with eyes unclouded' as it were.

Notice how 'to see' is synonymous with 'to understand'. This is what we call a dead metaphor- one that has become so commonplace that it has been incorporated into everyday language to the extent of ceasing to be viewed as a metaphor. In any case, it perfectly illustrates what I'm trying to say here. So to anyone who discriminates baldly against anime, go and 'see' Hayao Miyazaki's films and hopefully, understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment